Thursday, February 28, 2008

Monkey Boy

My 1 year old son has already learned how to crawl out of, over top of, underneath or around everything I have bought to try and keep him confined to one large play room. So my latest adventure was trying to find a baby safety gate। Sounds easy right? Nothing is ever easy here!!


The problem began with the entrance to the play room. It is an extra large opening that measures 70 inches wide. Now I am not a rich person and I hate wasting money, but it was inevitable that I had to buy something to keep the baby in that room. So my shopping started at 9am.

First stop, Magic Mart, a local retailer with a mid size selection of baby products. I was excited when I realized that the first gate I saw was 72 inches wide, but alas nothing could be this simple for me. After inspecting it closer I realized that the gate had this diamond shaped design. My first thought was he is going to stick his toes in there and climb right over it. Then I noticed that the top of the gate had these little x designs on it that were not covered up. I could see my baby poking his eye out on one of those.

You would think they would make safe products for children. But anyways on to the next store, Wal-Mart. Now we all know that Wal-Mart has everything anybody could possibly need all in one store. But remember, nothing is ever simple for me.

I was very disappointed with Wal-Mart's selection and prices on baby gates. They only had five to choose from and three of those were very flimsy and cheap looking. I don't think they would have kept my baby confined for more than five minutes. So now I was off to Toy's R Us which I was not happy about. I had always thought that the store had high prices and only toys, boy was I wrong!

Upon entering Toy's R Us I saw the exact gate that I needed for only $43! It was very sturdy and secure. It is made by Even Flo and extends to 72 inches. I will definitely be shopping at Toy's R Us again. I would highly recommend this gate for anybody with an odd shaped doorway. It is also a great value for the quality.



No comments: